Primary Sport Otara and Papatoetoe Clusters
“This has been an incredible opportunity for not only our students but also our staff. Having access to skilled; trained people and appropriate materials or equipment has encouraged our students to become more active; experience a range of sports they would not otherwise have had a chance to do so and supported staff to develop skills or ideas to run similar programs themselves” – Principal of Otara School.
The John Walker “Find Your Field of Dreams” Foundation Primary Sport Programme delivered by Counties Manukau Sport has entered its fifth successful year.
Primary Sport has worked with over 23,000 children since the programme was launched by the Prime Minister in 2009.
The programme delivers sporting opportunities to children in Otara Papatoetoe Mangere and Otahuhu.
This is achieved by:
• Working collaboratively with all its schools “Listening to school’s needs”
• Well planned individual action plans
• Creating Partnership Plans with each school
• Being a useful resource to schools
• Dedicated Primary Sport coaches who deliver an exciting mix of sports
• In School Coaching-Curriculum time
• Out of School Hours Coaching-before school, lunch time and after school programmes
• Have A GO Days, sports days and one off events
• Links to sports clubs
• Link to national and regional sporting organisations
• Links to Sportsvilles and Leisure Centres
• Links with KiwiSport Projects in the area
• Sports EXPO twice a year
• Cluster Days
• Professional Development for teachers and staff
• Celebrating success and enjoyment of children through photos, newsletters and video
• Target Year 0-8 children
• Incorporate other CMS Programmes such as FMS and PALS
• Primary Sport is all inclusive and Fair Play Proud!
Primary Sport works with 42 schools.
These are sub divided into three clusters:
Otara Sports Cluster - 12 schools
Papatoetoe Sports Cluster - 9 schools
Mangere Otahuhu Sports Association (MOSA) - 21 schools
Counties Manukau Sport has expanded the programme into other areas which further increases the Primary Sport brand to over 80 schools.
The Primary Sport team comprises of two full-time coordinators who work alongside the schools. The team are able to deliver to large numbers of children due to the heartbeat of the programme a dedicated and committed unit of coaches which are sourced locally and work to deliver high quality sporting experiences for children in the area.
The Primary Sport Team are located at The Manukau Sports Bowl, The Veledrome, 1 Boundary Road, Otara. Entrance off Te Irirangi Drive.
PRIMARY SPORT WEB PAGES
- View Primary Sport Photos here
- For archive Primary Sport photos please click here
- To follow us on Facebook please click here
- To follow the FYFOD Primary Sport page please click here
- To view Primary Sport Showreel (video) please click here
To follow us on Twitter please click here
If you would like to know about Primary Sport and how this programme can benefit your community, please contact:
Elizabeth Dooley via email: ElizabethD@cmsport.co.nz or mb: 029 505 1239 - events
Jennifer Feret via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or mob: 021 163 7247 - coaches and in-school delivery