Primary Sport Manurewa, Mangere, Otahuhu and Papakura
Primary Sport provides opportunities for Primary and Intermediate school children in Manurewa, Mangere, Otahuhu & Papakura to be involved in sport and physical recreation by:
- Increasing the number of school age children participating in organized sport.
- Increasing the availability and accessibility of sporting opportunities.
- Supporting children in developing skills that will enable them to participate effectively in sport.
There are two full-time Primary Sports Advisors in Counties Manukau Sport who coordinate the Primary Sport programme with the Manurewa, Mangere, Otahuhu & Papakura schools clusters and the Primary Sport Coaches. Click on either of the links to send the Primary Sport Advisors (Manurewa, Mangere, Otahuhu & Papakura) an email: Adam Chwesik or Jesse Williams or Cori Maroroa.
What the Primary Sport Programme looks like in Manurewa & Otahuhu:
- In school coaching – before school, during school, lunchtimes and after school. Coaching sports teams, class groups or recreational groups.
- Teacher Professional Development – usually in anticipation of major sports being held in the following term. Teacher PD may be for teachers at one school or cluster wide, beginning teachers, teacher aides (games for small groups), sports coordinators / team coaches, centre around new / existing / non-traditional sports.
- ‘Have A Go Days’ – these are for students of all ages to experience new sports which they may not have tried before! Have a Go Days are skills based activities which we hope will encourage them to take part in sport not just with our programme but with local clubs and school teams to make sport a part of everyday life.
- Fundamental Movement Skills (FMS) – aimed at children aged from 3 years – 8 years allowing them to develop specific skills for sport, recreation and other activities that they will participate in later in life. Students learn and develop their movement skills through being guided, encouraged and practising themselves.
- Cluster Tournaments – Primary Sport Coaches may be called on to help referee, umpire or officiate at cluster-wide tournaments.
- Wide Variety of Sports offered - Touch, Netball, Hockey, Volleyball, Basketball, Handball, Softball, Cricket, Ultimate Frisbee, Badminton, Ki O Rahi, Fastball (similar to touch), Football, Uni-Hockey, Indoor / Outdoor / Backyard games, Athletics, Physical Activity Leaders in Schools (PALS)
- Linking students to sports clubs – Primary Sport does this by encouraging and building links between the school sports programmes and the clubs – helping to build future champions within Counties Manukau.
Background to Primary Sport Manurewa & Otahuhu:
Following the successful implementation of The John Walker “Find Your Field of Dreams” Primary Sport Programme in Papatoetoe and Otara schools in 2009-2010, Counties Manukau Sport and the Manurewa Community Facilities Charitable Trust introduced a similar Primary Sport Programme to Manurewa schools in 2011, Otahuhu schools in 2013, and from the beginning of this year will include Mangere schools in the programme.
Primary Sport Manurewa & Otahuhu links:
The Sports Champ award offers recognition to students and teams who are regularly participating in sports within primary and intermediate schools, giving them a chance to win awards & prizes. This award recognises those students who share inspiration with others through their attitude and contribution to sport at a young age.
Each month during the school year COUNTIES MANUKAU SPORT will be awarding the SPORTS CHAMP Award to a student or team, acknowledging their participation / contribution / inspiration to others / excellence in sport. Please remember when we talk about sports this could mean a variety of activities including sports such as skateboarding, climbing, running or dancing. It may be a sport which they participate in during school, with a club, or socially in their own time. This is open to any student and/or team attending a primary or intermediate school in Manurewa, Mangere & Otahuhu.
Whether the student or team you nominate wins or not – we will contact you either way. Each individual winner will receive a COUNTIES MANUKAU SPORT bag, drink bottle, pen, a certificate, a gift pack from Green Valley Milk & a box of Juicies for their class. Teams will receive a certificate, product from Green Valley Milk & box of Juicies to share. Ideally we would like to make a presentation at your school assembly by a COUNTIES MANUKAU SPORT staff member and a Juicies and /or Green Valley Milk representative. We will also post a story about each winner on the COUNTIES MANUKAU SPORT website.
To make an online Sports Champ nomination please click on the link below. Nominations must be in before the 20th of each month to be considered for that month’s award.
Your Primary Sport Manurewa, Mangere, Otahuhu & Papakura contacts:
M: 021 071 2071
M: 022 045 5478
M: 021 235 2821